Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Getting back to it

It has been too long since I have made an entry here. Long enough that I have received emails from friends saying that if I don't write something here soon they will stop coming back. I don't want that to happen. So here is the beginning of a new series of entries to this blog.

It is hard to get back. Just the act of sitting down and having something to write is difficult. I did notice that when I was consistently writing in this blog that I would make mental notes of things that I saw or thought of or heard during the day. When I don't write that bit of focus slips away.

So here I am again trying to regain that focus.

I do have a number of things to write about - personal, professional and just plain interesting.



I'm about 50 pages into a really interesting, fun book to read. Chabon describes the 'imaginary' city of Sitka in incredible detail while telling a fascinating detective story.

In Chabon's world Israel lost the 1948 war and the U.S. made an area near Sitka in Alaska available to European Jews. So Sitka is now a yiddish speaking, thriving centre of Jewish life in the far, far north. Besides the murder that occupies the detective the 'reversion' is also on every citizen of Sitka's mind. It turns out that the Jews were only granted the land for a specific period of time and that time was up very shortly.

If you want to read the New York Times review go to http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/01/books/01kaku.html?ex=1335758400&en=76e3ce5812a6faa2&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home