Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Art - Visual and Music

I am fascinated by the process of making art. I envy those that learned the skills, had the talent, persevered and can produce art.

My main enjoyment of art is music - I had a chance early in life to immerse myself in music but like many other kids I resisted and lost whatever skills I had during the years when I was only an observer/listener.

The process of creating visual art is amazing to me - I have no background in this area and I am sure I have no talent. So when I see a person turning a blank piece of paper into something recognizable it blows me away. They must see the world in such a different way than I see the world.

But then for a person to put music and visual art together is incredible.

Watch this video - I hope you like Ray Charles (who doesn't like Ray Charles????????

http://www.biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=3193

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheree Rensel said...

You wrote:
"So when I see a person turning a blank piece of paper into something recognizable it blows me away. They must see the world in such a different way than I see the world."

No, I don't think we see things in a different way. I think artists just EXPRESS what they see in their own ways. You aren't alone being amazed by the work of artists. I have been an artist all my life. Yet to this day, I can't believe how I can look at a white canvas or piece of paper, put some marks on it, and it turns into SOMETHING. Even to me, that is so weird and unbelievable!
In the artist's community, there has always been the debate whether artists are made or born. Of course, people take sides on this issue. I believe every human being has the aptitude to be creative. However, I think artists are born. I was born this way. I have seen this proven in my teaching too. I can teach all kids to express themselves through art. However once in a while, I encounter a student who just has a special gift. She/he just makes such special "marks" without any help from me.
All of us have our gifts and talents. I am a visual artist. I could never be a musician. I am tone deaf! I have never been able to learn how to play an instrument or sing. I am fine with that because I know I have my own talents. So like you, I appreciate all people for their special, unique abilities.
:-)
Sheree Rensel
www.wizzlewolf.com

9:29 AM  
Blogger Cyril Kesten said...

Sheree, Thank you for the thoughtful comments. I was reminded today that writing is an art and that my efforts with this blog can be seen as art. The moral I think is that there is art in virtually everything - it is the creation, the origination, the imagination, that counts

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home