Friday, January 04, 2008

Financial Literacy

I spent most of the day today preparing for a presentation I will make at the (E)Merging Conference for our pre-interns on Monday.

This conference takes up the first two days of the winter semester and is for the benefit of the pre-interns in all of our programs.

One one hand this conference is a pain - the pre-internship semester in the secondary program is already pretty chopped up (OCRE/PLACE, field experiences, WESTCast, etc.) and this conference takes another bite out of the semester. I only meet with my students 10 times over the semester for each course!

On the other hand many of the presentations are valuable, it is important for students to become acquainted with students in other programs and with people from the different school boards, the STF and others.

My presentation is on Financial Literacy and Student Investment Clubs.

I wish I knew then what I know now - financial security is so easy to achieve - especially if you start young. Its easy - spend less than you take in, stay away from poor debt decisions and pay yourself first.

My presentation will outline the problems we face in terms of debt and bankruptcies. I'll talk about the opportunities teachers have to create their own financial independence - the magic of compound interest, etc. I'll refer them to the book called The Millionaire Next Door.

And finally I will describe the Student Investment Club instructional strategy I have developed with my colleague Teresa Yohon.

I am curious to see who will show up to this session and what kinds of questions they will ask.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Al Jones said...

How to Get Good Credit Gab is holding an online video contest to raise awareness for financial literacy. The prize is $200 cash!

Create a 30 or 60 second video that answers the question “How do I get good credit?” and highlights the benefits of obtaining good credit. Videos must not contain adult content such as nudity, profanity, drugs and alcohol. Videos must also be posted on You Tube, so that we may obtain embedding code to showcase your video. Videos will be viewer rated using a scale of 1-low to 5-high. A viewing schedule will be posted on the blog.

Contest begins and entries are accepted beginning April 1st thru April 30th 2008.

Each week new entries will be displayed on the blog at http://www.HowToGetGoodCredit.blogspot.com. On May 1, 2008, the scores received will be counted and totaled. The video with the highest total rating number wins.

Contact Alton J. Jones, How To Get Good Credit Expert, at AltonJJones@msn.com with questions and notification that your video is available on You Tube.

Good luck.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous mack said...

There are many young adults between the age group of 18-34 are hopelessly lacking in money management skills. Reasons for such financial illiteracy in youth is because many parents think that children are given sound financial education in school. For more details on why financial literacy is much important and how we can improve it refer financial literacy

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home